Best Pregnancy Pillow Guide
Women who are waiting for the baby are required to take care of the quality of the night’s sleep. After all, with the help of such a rest, the body is filled with energy and strength, thanks to which it is able to provide the fetus with everything necessary.
It is known that, starting from the seventh month of pregnancy, it becomes difficult for women to find a comfortable position for sleeping. In this case, doctors advise you to purchase special accessories for night rest – a pillow for pregnant women, which today comes in several forms and any size, so that you can comfortably lie down and have a good rest. With the help of this device is obtained to relax the muscles of the legs and back, which leads to complete relaxation of the body during a night’s sleep.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Pregnancy Pillow Guide
- 1.1 Why do pregnant need a special pillow
- 1.2 What are the forms
- 1.3 Fillers Used During Sewing
- 1.4 Types of fabrics from which to make pillows
- 1.5 How to Choose a Pillow
Why do pregnant need a special pillow
A pillow for sleeping throughout pregnancy is not considered another whim of expectant mothers. Such a device is really necessary for a normal rest at any time. Many doctors believe that for quality sleep every pregnant woman just need to use a pillow created using modern technologies, which is comfortable and not capable of harm to health.
The advantages of such pillows include:
- the device helps to find the most comfortable position for sleeping, or by sitting in front of the TV or reading a book;
- reducing the strong load on the spine, which is important to perform, starting from the 2nd trimester of pregnancy (for example, a u-shaped pillow for pregnant women can be used as a support for the back, sides, tummy or legs) – as a rule, such a load appears due to fast growing belly;
- thanks to the product, it is safe for the growing fetus to position the abdomen in any position of the body;
- using a convenient form, the product will help to reduce the high load on the spinal column, because with the help of a pillow the back will completely relax and rest.
Due to the natural material that is used for manufacturing, it will not be possible to harm health, because the products are sewn only from ecological and high-quality raw materials (this includes cloth used for sewing, as well as filler).
Attention! Pillows will be useful for mothers and after childbirth – they are used as follows:
- the release of the hands of the mother during the natural feeding of the baby – this is important for those babies who eat slowly;
- creating a safe and cozy place to play a child or his daytime sleep;
- creation of a “mini playpen” from which the kid will not be able to get out at first;
- facilitating the process of feeding twins, who no longer need to hold on their hands;
- help babies who learn to sit.
Depending on the preferences of the mother, you can choose a long or small copy, as well as independently choose the fabric from which the cover and the filler will be sewn. It is important to note that it is often difficult for the future mother to make the right choice when buying a special pillow for sleeping, especially knowing that today there are a large number of different devices that differ in shape.
What are the forms
Modern forms of pregnancy pillows facilitate the selection, individually for each mommy. Although today there are many such products, sometimes it is difficult to choose the desired shape. Moreover, each type of device for sleeping has its own characteristics, with the help of which it will turn out to pick up a quality product. The rating of daytime pillows for pregnant women depends on the filler and the shape of the product. Upon request, you can purchase goods on the Internet, where you can fully appreciate its appearance, characteristics, minuses and advantages. Known and common pillows are considered.
This type of product resembles a horseshoe. As a rule, this form is considered the most common today, since it is easy to take on any pose for a pregnant woman, as well as to put it under your back to sit down.
- the product does not have to be turned over and shifted at night, as it fits on both sides at once – this means that a woman can calmly turn over and again take a comfortable position for her;
- allows you to simultaneously support the back and stomach, reducing the load on them;
- great for women who love to wrap in a blanket, as the device will not allow him to slip from the body.
- sleep in the arms of the future dad will not work;
- to use such a pillow it is required to have a wide bed, since its dimensions are impressive.
Why does this shape have a size? This is required so that a woman of any height would not have difficulty putting down. It is required to pick up for itself a copy on growth. For ladies whose height is more than 170 cm, it is recommended to choose models with a size of 340×35 cm; miniature pregnant women should prefer the size of 280×35 cm. Also during the purchase is important to choose the right filler, which will not bring harm to health and will be convenient to use.
A variation of such a pillow (looks like a donut pillow) will help women comfortably lie down at night, as well as take a safe and pleasant posture while watching TV or reading a book. Usually the size of the “bagel” is 360×35 cm.
- full coverage of the body of a pregnant woman;
- it is great for a small bed, compared to the previous form;
- ease of laying the head, abdomen or back, depending on the position of the body.
- “Bagel” is required to turn along with the woman’s body, because either the belly or the back will be without support.
The width of the device allows you to easily fit the woman on the bed, and also not feel constrained during sleep. The filler in the bagel is different, so the expectant mother can easily choose the most convenient and high-quality product.
This type of pillow began to release recently, but he has already managed to win the prevalence among pregnant women. Their size is 350×35 cm. Why do some doctors advise pregnant women to buy it? This is due to the advantages of the product over other types of pillows.
- The product perfectly helps to relax and rest the back and all the muscles of the body;
- It will be able to relax perfectly during the day;
- You can take different comfortable postures in which a large belly will not interfere with a lady – for example, she is placed under the head, supported by the back, placed under the belly and so on.
- The letter G is endowed with a “tail,” which may bring certain inconveniences to some women.
It is best to apply this form of the product in the first and second trimester – at this time the stomach is not too big.
In another way, this pillow is called a banana – it was designed for the convenience of sleeping a woman in position. It is produced depending on the height of the pregnant woman – if it is more than 160 cm, the size of the pillow should be 190×30 cm. If the lady is small, it is better to buy a size 170×30 cm.
- high-quality support for the back and growing belly;
- occupies minimum space in the bed;
- helps to relax in a reclining position;
- if the size is small, it can be taken on trips or travels;
- provides a good sleep on the side, which is necessary for the entire period of carrying a baby.
As a rule, when buying it, many expectant mothers do not notice the shortcomings, so these products are now in demand.
A comfortable sleeping device that has a long leg for the abdomen or back, as well as a small cushion that can be placed under the head. The length of the pillow is 230 cm.
- occupy a little space on the bed;
- will be convenient in any trimester;
- you can go to any position or rest comfortably half-sitting.
- when turning on the other side of the pillow will also need to shift.
The pillow looks like a roller, which is quite common among pregnant women. They usually sew it in two sizes – 170×30 and 190×30, which means that each woman will be able to choose the right size for herself.
- low cost;
- allows muscles and organs to relax completely and not to endure a heavy load at night;
- promotes comfortable rest at night;
- helps to relieve the support apparatus and neck.
Deficiencies in the I-shaped pillow is not detected.
Fillers Used During Sewing
Best-Rated pregnancy pillows are made on the basis of holofiber and polystyrene foam. Manufacturers are still arguing about which material is better for stuffing pillows – if you become familiar with their characteristics, you can understand that both types have proven themselves well.
Styrofoam is a well-known material, which is presented in the form of small balls. They are safe for health, and the balls are not able to undergo the attack of mold, mites and other microorganisms.
- not absorbing unpleasant odors;
- do not attract pathogenic microorganisms.
Holofiber is a small hollow fiber, which are interconnected by means of high temperature. The advantages of this type of filler include easy care, durability and the possibility of self-washing.
- water repellent;
- not absorbing odors;
- keeping the shape;
- material not attractive to microorganisms.
In addition, transformers pillows are most often made from such fillers.
Additional materials that are used to fill sleep appliances include:
- synthetic winterizer;
However, these types of filler are used much less frequently, since the pillows are not capable of keeping the factory form for a long time.
Types of fabrics from which to make pillows
The main condition for reliable and durable products for pregnant women is multi-layeredness, due to which it will be possible to create a convenient thing. The first layer of the sleeping device should be made of expanded polystyrene or holofiber, this will not allow the pillow filler to fall out through the fabric fibers.
The second layer consists of a pillowcase, the material of which is selected at the discretion.
It may be:
Attention! If you are going to feed your baby on a pillow, the fabric should not be branded and well-washed, otherwise the appearance of the product will quickly deteriorate.
The color of the fabric is also different, so you can choose it depending on the interior or personal preferences.
How to Choose a Pillow
Despite the color, shape (U-shaped, “bagel” and so on) and size (200 cm, 300 cm), it is also necessary to take into account certain criteria that cannot be called personal. Among the main recommendations for the selection of products are the following:
- The size. Belonging to sleep is selected on the basis of the parameters of the growth of the woman, since some of them are large, which will cause the inconvenience of a low pregnant woman. You should also consider the size of the bed, because the pillow should fit on it, and the woman should be comfortable to sleep.
- Environment friendly. Doctors advise to give preference to such materials – cotton or calico. Such fabrics absorb moisture, and also endowed with hypoallergenic qualities. In addition, they are easy to care for and maintain shape. Also, from the natural material does not smell of chemistry, which is especially important for women in the situation, because otherwise they will have to breathe it throughout the night.
- Ability to use after childbirth. Usually women use them for feeding and playing with the baby, because such a pillow provides reliable safety for the child. In this case, L- or I-shaped form is not suitable for these purposes, therefore it is better to give preference to other forms of the product.
- Convenience. Pregnant women should be comfortable sleeping on a pillow, since for this purpose she is purchased. Such a product is “obliged” to adapt to the shape of the body of the future mother, so that she can, without fear, put it under her back or stomach. Therefore, it is important to choose the right filler, as some of them can be hard for a woman.
The convenience of pregnant women and the quality of sleep directly depend on the choice of night accessories, so you should not be negligent in choosing a product.
How to choose the size?
- Before you buy yourself a pillow for pregnant women, it is important to choose the right size as well.
- If the pillow is too big, your spouse will definitely have to sleep on the couch. When choosing a pillow size, be guided by the size of your bed: the larger it is, the larger the pillow will fit between you and your husband.
- When choosing the size is also worth considering your preferences. Some women like to literally drown in a pillow, while others prefer smaller pillows.
- When choosing, you need to take into account your height. Most manufacturers have several options for the size of the same model, so that you can choose a pillow that is right for you.
Do I really need a pillow for pregnant women?
You can doubt whether pillows are necessary for pregnant women. Some women simply cannot do without them, while others are quite comfortable with ordinary ones. Here are some signs that you need such a pillow:
- To get comfortable, you need to place around a few pillows
- Pain in the morning – you feel pain in the pelvis, thighs or lower back, waking up in the morning.
- Before pregnancy, you liked to sleep on your back or stomach, and now you are uncomfortable lying on your side.
- Diseases – you suffer from diseases such as, for example, inflammation of the sciatic nerve or exacerbation of osteochondrosis.
If at least one of these items is about you, then you really need a special pillow. With her, your sleep will become more comfortable and healthy. Why not fit a regular pillow? Despite the fact that the usual pillow provides some support and relieves the load, on it you will not be so comfortable. You will notice that the usual pillow does not adapt to your new outlines and does not sufficiently support the body. Ordinary pillows also often “walk” on the bed during the night.
If you are comfortable with a regular pillow, then, firstly, you do not need to buy a pillow for pregnant women, and secondly, you are very lucky, because most women without it are very hard. Pillow for pregnant women is a great purchase not only for you, but also for those who sleep with you. After all, if you can not fall asleep, you toss and turn, and because of this, your spouse cannot fall asleep either. Believe me, he will be even more excited about your new pillow than you are!